If you lost a loved one in an accident that wasn’t their fault, you could be entitled to compensation through a wrongful death claim. The purpose of a wrongful death claim is to lessen the financial burden on your household due to your loved one’s untimely passing. While a wrongful death claim can never bring your loved one back, it can help your family move forward and obtain closure. One of the dedicated wrongful death lawyers from Johnson & Groninger PLLC is standing by to review your case through a risk-free, cost-free assessment. Call (919) 240-4054 to learn more. Here are some common types of accidents that lead to wrongful death claims and more information about how our firm can help you. 1. Car Accidents The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles notes that in 2019 alone, 1,658 people were killed in car crashes in the state. An additional 105,382 people were injured. When someone is killed in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, the family is entitled to compensation through a wrongful death claim. To prove negligence, the evidence must show that the other driver owed a certain level of care to the victim, that the other driver broke that duty, caused the accident, and that the injuries from the accident caused the victim’s death. Proving negligence can be difficult without an attorney that understands the law and how it is applied in our local courts. 2. Truck Accidents As noted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, in 2019 alone there were some 5,237 fatal crashes involving large trucks and buses, as well as 121,000 accidents with large trucks and buses involving injuries. Truck drivers are operating vehicles that are significantly heavier, taller, and more dangerous than traditional motor vehicles. When a truck collides with a passenger vehicle, the occupants of the passenger vehicle are at much more risk of injury or death due to the weight and height disparity, as trucks often run over passenger vehicles in accidents. Determining what caused the accident is the first step to recovering your compensation. Your attorney at Johnson & Groninger, PLLC will assist you every step of the way. 3. Defective Products When a defective product caused the accident that led to the untimely death of your loved one, the designer, manufacturer, or even retailer of the product could be liable for the associated damages. Manufacturers are required to test items and ensure that they function as intended. If not, warnings must be provided if the risk is reasonable. If it is unreasonable, the items should not be sold to consumers. 4. Workplace Accidents Losing a loved one to a workplace injury can potentially entitle you to wrongful death damages in addition to benefits from a workers’ compensation death claim. Our attorneys can assess the unique facts and circumstances of the accident, the insurance coverage of the employer, and determine whether or not you have a strong case. We are here to help you! What to Do if Your Loved One Passed Away in an Accident If your loved one has passed away in an accident, connect with one of the wrongful death lawyers at Johnson & Groninger as soon as possible. You can only collect damages when another party was at-fault in the accident, and this can only be done effectively by determining and collecting evidence and applying past experience in similar cases. Measuring damages requires evidence, and all of this must be incorporated into a well-drafted complaint, submitted on time, and then negotiated with the insurance company of the at-fault party. The process is complex and can be difficult to accomplish on your own even without having to deal with the loss of a loved one. You will never have to pay anything until we successfully resolve your case. This is because when we take wrongful death cases, we take them on contingency. We only get paid if we win at trial or reach a settlement. Our experienced attorneys are standing by to review your claim. Let us help you collect what you deserve. For your risk-free, cost-free case assessment, schedule a consultation or call us at (919) 240-4054.